Elson Installed as IMS President
Marygrace Elson, MD, MME, FACOG, an OB/GYN from Iowa City was installed as the 170th Iowa Medical Society President on Friday, April 5. IMS Immediate Past-President, Michael Romano, MD, MHA, from Council Bluffs presented Dr. Elson with the presidential medallion during the President’s Reception that evening.
During her augural address, Dr. Elson highlighted the need to address physician workforce shortages in multiple specialties through greater fund of medical student loan repayment programs, and expanded rural rotations for medical students and residents. She also addressed the need for standardized protocols and best practices for physician and non-physician providers in the area of maternity care and labor and delivery, due to the shrinking number of maternal care units in Iowa hospitals.
As part of the ceremony, the results of the 2019 leadership election were announced. The IMS membership elected four at-large directors to three- year terms:
- Tiffani Milless, MD, Pathology, Des Moines, IMS Board Chair (elected to her second term)
- Michael McCoy, MD, OB/GYN, West Burlington (elected to his second term)
- Alison Lynch, MD, Psychiatry, Iowa City
- Jessica Zuzga-Reed, DO, FAAP, Pediatrics, Des Moines
In addition, Matthew Alexander, MD, General Surgery resident from Iowa City, was elected to his second term at the IMS Resident Director, and Gabriel Conley, M2, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine was elected as the IMS Medical Student Director, each of these positions is a one-year term.
The IMS membership re-elected the members of the IMS AMA Delegation to two-year terms. The re-elected members of the delegation include:
- Victoria Sharp, MD, Urology/Family Medicine, Iowa City, AMA Delegate
- Jeff Anderson, MD, Anesthesiology, West Des Moines, AMA Alternate Delegate
- Doug Peters, MD, Family Medicine, West Burlington, AMA Alternate Delegate
Three members of the IMS Board of Directors concluded their terms following the President’s Reception:
- Nicole Gensick, M4, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, IMS Medical Student Director (2017-2019)
- W. John Yost, MD, Internal Medicine, Des Moines, IMS At-Large Director (2013-2019)
- Joyce Vista-Wayne, MD, DFAPA, Adolescent and Child Psychiatry, Clive, IMS President (2017-2018), IMS Board of Directors (2012-2019)
On Saturday, April 6 Brian Privett, MD, Ophthalmology, Cedar Rapids was named IMS President-Elect, Tiffani Milless, MD, Pathology, Des Moines, ascended to the position of IMS Board Chair, and Scott Truhlar, MD, Diagnostic Radiology, Iowa City was elected as IMS Secretary/Treasurer by the IMS Board of Directors. For a complete list of the Iowa Board of Directors’ members visit the IMS website.