MIPS Virtual Group Election Period Ends December 1
Date of Publication October 25, 2017
Small practices have additional participation opportunities available next year as they look to prepare for the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) program. The election period is open to form a virtual group for the 2018 MIPS performance period. As proposed in the 2018 Quality Payment Program proposed rule, solo practitioners and small groups can choose to participate in MIPS as a virtual group for the 2018 performance period via an election process through December 1, 2017.
CMS proposed a virtual group to be a combination of two or more Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TINs) made up of:
A solo practitioner who is eligible to participate in MIPS and bills under a TIN with no other National Provider Identifiers billing under the TIN, or
- A group with 10 or fewer eligible clinicians (at least 1 must be eligible for MIPS) that joins with at least one other solo practitioner or group for a performance period of a year.
Practices interested in pursuing the virtual group option and those interested in additional information or technical assistance for other aspects of the Quality Payment Program(QPP), can access the following resources:
- Small, Underserved, and Rural Support (Practices with 15 or Fewer Clinicians) –(844) 358-4021 or via email
- Quality Innovation Network – Quality Improvement Organization (Practices with More Than 15 Clinicians) – (800) 383-2856 or via email
- Iowa Healthcare Collaborative
- Transforming Clinical Practice Initiative (TCPI), Compass Practice Transformation Network (PTN) – (515) 283-9307 or via email