Laundry detergent packet dangers
June 01, 2012
The Iowa Department of Public Health is urging physicians to remind patients to keep highly concentrated "single dose packs" of laundry detergent up and out of the reach of children.
Poison centers across the country have reported a recent increase in calls about exposures of children to laundry detergents packaged in small packets. Some young children and toddlers who swallow these small packets have become ill and some have required hospitalization. According to the Iowa Statewide Poison Control Center (ISPCC), 10 exposure calls have been received in Iowa since April 1, 2012. The children ranged in age from 8 months to 4 years of age. Five needed hospital care but none became seriously ill. All have completely recovered; nationally, however, more serious illness has been reported. There have been no deaths.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers recommends the following steps:
- Always keep detergents locked up and out of the reach of children.
- Follow the specific disposal instructions on the label.
- If you think a child has been exposed to a laundry detergent packet, call the ISPCC immediately at 1-800-222-1222.
For information about the Iowa Statewide Poison Control Center visit http://iowapoison.org.