Contract Review Service
The Iowa Medical Society is pleased to announce the IMS Contract Review Service, a new benefit exclusively for IMS physician members. The Contract Review Service links IMS physician members with Iowa attorneys with experience in physician contracting.
Contracts subject to review as part of this service include:
- employment contracts;
- restrictive covenant/non-compete agreements; and
- managed care contracts
Participating attorneys have agreed to provide initial "issue-spotting" reviews and assessments in these identified contracting arenas for IMS members for a fee of $150.
This is how the IMS Contract Review Service works:
- An interested member physician may complete the IMS Contract Review Service Inquiry Form or contact at the IMS Office of Legal Affairs & Policy Development at (800) 747-3070.
- IMS will provide further information regarding the service, including identification of one or more attorneys who have agreed to provide issue-spotting reviews for a nominal fee.
- The physician contacts the attorney or attorneys; informs the attorney that contracting review is sought as part of the IMS Contract Review Service; and makes further arrangements with the attorney of the physician's choice.
- More extensive legal services are available under a separate billing arrangement with the attorney.
Please note: While the IMS seeks to be a source of information for its members regarding laws and legal rights and responsibilities, IMS does not practice law or provide legal advice through this Contracting Review Service or otherwise. Similarly, IMS cannot and does not warrant or guarantee the services provided by the attorneys participating in this program.
AMA Annotated Model Physician Employment Agreement (2003 updated edition) This publication is available online only to AMA member physicians. Go to http://www.ama-assn.org and search the site; a password is required to access this document.
"Covenants Not to Compete - Iowa Law Supports Them, To a Point; Physician Ethics Discourage Them," Iowa Medicine (November/December 2001)
Download Article Here (PDF 221KB)
"Restrictive Covenants in Physician Contracts"