Mike Abrams, Executive Vice President of the Iowa Medical Society
Time is a precious resource, and few things can frustrate a busy person more than having their time wasted. At every level of IMS, we recognize the importance of having the gift of your time, and we are committed to using it wisely when you give it to us.
According to the American Society of Association Executives, people become involved in organizations or efforts because they are asked by someone they respect, and people find it difficult to refuse an offer to become involved. Once you become involved, you want to feel like the work you are doing is making a difference, and your involvement is enjoyable.
IMS has many opportunities for you to be involved in the important conversations taking place in medicine, including:
- Legislative Committee
- Committee on Law and Ethics
- Medical Services Committee
- Iowa Medical Political Action Committee
- Many ad hoc, topic-specific committees that become necessary from time to time
- Participate in the conversations presented on our website
- Participate in Voter Voice alerts
- Attend a legislative forum in your community and speak on behalf of an IMS priority
When you drive home from a meeting at IMS, it is our goal that you will have been energized through discussion of issues of strategic importance to Iowa physicians. You will not find yourself mired in minutiae.
Our organization is strong because our membership is high (greater than 5400 members) and our members engage. But we want to enhance the engagement. Please take a moment to review our website, and consider ways you might engage for your own betterment and that of your colleagues and your professional organization.